Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Learning Something Else about Myself Every Day

When I was younger I decided to learn about Archeology and spent several years in several different programs. I was already a Geologist so by using that I specialized in reconscruction of paleo-environments and site dating questions, and since I was never interested in becoming a professional (of any kind. I already had a career as long as the Grateful Dead band was on tour and there were frisbees to throw) when I learned what I wanted to know, I moved on to other things. I'm haven't been intense with it but I keep up, and still, after all of these years, felt well grounded in the basics.

Until yesterday.

During those early years I talked about Pack Rat middens (houses) with my peers, analyzed parts of Pack Rat middens, and/or and their contents, and turned in papers on Pack Rats and Pack Rat middens. I once even presented a formal argument on using Pack Rat middens to date associated sites, and what now makes me feel ridiculous is, until yesterday I had never seen a Pack Rat or a whole midden. While cleaning up an area near the horse barns I accidentally tore a midden apart and the rat was home. To begin with, they are sort of shocking when compared to a mouse. This one seemed really healthy and was as large as the kittens (who had been playing under the big pile of stuff right before I turned it over). I immediately felt kind of bad and didn't really know what to do, but the rat didn't seem concerned. I eventually decided that the people probably didn't want a big rat house right beside their mower shed, so I hauled it off. As I was driving away the rat strolled over to the mower shed and went inside. I don't want it mad at me, but I do need to clean up that area, so I've decided to let it live in the mower shed for now if it wants. Anyway, back to the other. What a fake amateur Archeologist. The first real Pack Rat I see and "arrgh" is all I can say. Then I drag its house off to the dump without even a second glance.