Friday, September 23, 2005

The Horses (continued)

Completely interesting situation. I kind of feel like I've met an alien family, or maybe tribe - there's so many of them. I've sort of been waiting for guidance but am beginning to realize that there won't be very much more than what I've already gotten. I only know two names but have a speaking relationship with a lot of them. I have been feeding at exactly the same times and it has been a strange three weeks. They've gone from from "Who are you?" to, "Really dude, the owners give us two buckets full, four, no, five times a day, and let us do whatever we want." to today, almost just a pleasant "Good morning." I've worked all around and in the barns and pens for the past week and the horses that live in pens are completely at ease, even friendly. I'm probably overly cautious about their blind spots and not getting in their way, but that's how I've avoided broken bones and serious injury, and I'm not changing now. If something can hurt me, even without malice, I stay out of its reach. After I post this I intend to spend the evening reading about training horses, but think I already see the bigger picture. They need water, food, a decent shelter, frequent grooming, health monitoring, and safety from predators or even their own kind. Beyond that I suppose they need to learn the basics of interacting with humans. What those are and how best to teach them I'll have to learn about. Right now it's just so interesting to make their acquaintance. I don't even know which are the grooming items, but found a large brush and was brushing one of the horses today (so I could rest in the shade) when the one in the next stall (Pebbles) came over and insisted that I rub her head. I did, but she has kind of freaky eyes. She is a beautiful horse, and seems nice enough, but I'll bet she is prone to hysteria. I've never been good with the feelings of hysterical people but have never met one that weighed - however much these animals weigh. I was thinking 2,000 lbs., but that's a car. I'll ask.