Monday, June 20, 2005

Almost the end of Spring?

"I Need More Time." I'll bet that's a common last gasp, but I'm not just whining, I really do. It was only 100 today and still sort of overwhelming, but this evening is incredible. The moon is almost full and the sky is dynamic at this time of day anyway - the whole thing sort of stuns me if I look at it too often or too long. The small fish were so active earlier that the surface of the water looked like it was boiling. In past years I would have gotten nervous to see so many on the surface but these were obviously eating and not gasping for air.

The prairie is rapidly losing its green. Unless there is a significant amount of rain in the next week, it will already be brown by the time the real Summer heat hits. I've watered for almost 40 hours from the pond and the berm is perking up. The animals are also appreciative. The pond really is an oasis for them through these months.