Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Happy Birthday

The pond is 4 years old this month and has become much more that we ever thought it would be. For one thing, it is much more work. I think that I kind of imagined a little bit of work during the first part of the first year, then years of morning coffee, surrounded by large, nice plants that take care of themselves, watching animals that only do what pleases me. I was mistaken. The leisure times are nice but infrequent. I have never actually sat and finished a cup of coffee because there are too many things that need attention - weeds, grass and other organic debris that just seem to churn up out of the ground, as well as ornamental plants that need water or food. The rocks seem to move a lot also. Either Bill's grandson moves them, or they are running to escape him, either way I have to put them back in place.

All in all, it is the neatest project I have ever become involved in and as we gain the upper hand it is becoming more like a living sculpture. We actually can see a future where the pond is a contained oasis filled with plants that are beautiful and smell great, and where we will be able to relax and enjoy each other and our friends. Then again, this is just what my sister and I think about and plan for the place. Bill and his friends already enjoy the fishing and have never really seemed to care what it looks like.

I would do it again, but would probably hire more heavy equipment. That was entirely too much shoveling.