Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Languages of Children

I have been listening to Camron "wave anchor and hoist the sail" on his pirate ship for the past hour, and now I'm betting that his hypno-bean project is actually a hypno-beam (although he does have that Mexican jumping bean circus). Toward the end he came over and asked if I had any lava that he could use to turn something into a laser. I told him that I have some basalt, which is the solid form of lava, and when I got it for him he asked if pouring water on it would turn it back into lava. I told him we would need heat to get that done and he said, "microwave?" "No, molten core of the earth." I was working in his front yard cutting metal with a skill saw, and louder than that noise were sounds like cats were being tortured in his house. The saw burned out and so did I, but the horrible noise continued, and when I asked what it was he said it was the baby talking. That blood-chilling, finger-nails on a chalkboard sound can't be good for humans. What kind of baby is she?

And by the way, the potion turned the peanut into a leaf, not a human being. He's going to work on that.