Wednesday, August 31, 2005

August 31, 2005

Another totally beautiful day. The heat builds during the day, dominates the afternoons, then lingers into the late evenings, where it evokes feelings then images of my childhood Summers. The nights are still cool enough that I can shut down the air conditioning system and open the windows. I am comfortable and the interior of the house drops to the lower 60's by sunrise. (The temperature comfort thing is sort new. I didn't start living with air-conditioning until I was in my 40's, but immediately became hopelessly addicted, exactly the same reaction I had to the first warm house I lived in, probably the same year.)

The Bittern was gone this morning when I got up. It also wasn't there at sunset, which felt kind of odd. I did find out that there are several more staying at the pond where I relocated the Catfish. I was telling the owner about this bird and she said they had several at their pond. It has a much shallower shore and maybe 8 times the shoreline. They walk along the edge and flush out the Catfish fry. Another zone of intense predation.