Friday, January 28, 2005

Thursday Night

It was dark, overcast, and raining lightly when I left for work at 6AM, and dark, overcast, and raining moderately - maybe, skill at determining how much it's raining is a relatively new necessity - when I got back about 7PM. We walked briefly anyway and I noticed that in sheltered areas by the pond, the bioluminescent creature, and I'm sure it's Diplocardia, was on display again. My first thought was that maybe the effective annual precipitation is actually increasing here and new plants and animals are showing up. (These images and their numbers are relative. I know that even at double the normal moisture amount this is still a plateau at the southern end of the Great Plains and a variety of factors determine what can live here.) My second thought is, maybe the worms have always been here and just weren't luminous for whatever reason. I'll get Cashmere to come over tonight and try to photograph them.

The wind is tremendous today and it's very cold, but I can tell a difference in the plants. They are developing an attitude of green (more substantial than an aura but still not a visible color).