Sunday, January 20, 2008

Rare birds skating on the frozen pond as the sun comes up.





And I'm sure that's interesting, but unfortunately, I mostly don't go outside until long after sunrise.

Not really about any of the above, but almost. Every day Bill and my sister tell me some new and amazing thing that I just missed watching the most interesting birds do (the ducks last night, and the heron eating another fish this morning.) I completely believe the stories because there was a time, when I worked on the pond for hours every day, that I could stay on the bank while exotic birds or other animals were there. I can still picture the covey of quail drinking across the pond from me one morning. The babies were perfect replicas of the adults, and perfect little soldiers about everything. And watching the bittern fish from the back of Bill's boat was otherworldly. It moved very deliberately, like a preying mantis, and I got so close for such long periods of time that I could have drawn pictures of it (if I could draw).
Now I have a great camera and only see black dots as they fly away.