Sunday, September 09, 2007

2 2/10 inches of rain




It started raining just before 10 pm last night, and twelve hours later it seems to be ending. The clouds aren't nearly as dense as they were when the sun came up and had started to move when I went out to take these pictures and empty the rain gauge. I can see light appearing on my wall as I write this so it will probably be completely clear by noon - just in time for the big afternoon cumulonimbus reunion.

The kingfisher runs away when I try to take pictures of him, but he was kind of aggressive with Cashmere and her kids while they were cleaning the pond berm yesterday. Bill changed his aeration system again and the bird seems to be attracted by that. Not that the bird is mean in any way, but his appearance and movements remind me of the devil daffy who appeared in one of the old cartoons. Guilty fleeing, furtive glances - things like that. In the same way that the bittern reminds me of the cartoon Ichabod Crane character - same movements.

And the sun is out now.