Tuesday, August 17, 2004

08/17/04

Cashmere, Bill's daughter, and the person who has taken most of the photos on this log, has a new and much better camera, and will be posting photos and comments on her own now. I already like what she has done with the dragon flys, even the blurred ones. I'll still post photos, but no more close up attempts.

During the past week I have seen two of the leopard frogs that Bill's friend, Juan, brought from his pond in June. They are approximately 2 1/2" long X 1" wide, light tan or brown, with dark (green?) irregular spots. One hopped from the waterfall into the water as I was walking by, and the other jumped off of the bank onto some moss when I was trimming the edge of the pond with clippers.

The other strange sighting was by Bill. Over the past two weeks he has seen a parrot flying around the water.

I have decided that the crepe myrtle is the best plant introduced this summer. I expected blooms but this will be an incredible pond ornament in a few years.

Finally, August and we haven't lost a single fish this year (to suffocation - plenty have been absorbed into the food chain). We managed to anticipate the oxygen extremes and countered them.